Tuesday 6 February 2007

Sunday and Start of Class

Well, I am still here in St. Andrews and loving it. Class has started and things are starting to get busy but I am very much enjoying my professors and the format of classes here in the UK. I guess I'll begin on Sunday since my last post was Sat., but I think from here on out I will just let ya'll know major stuff that happens rather than go day by day, that'll get old for you and for me. Sunday morning happened as I imagine church would have gone in the time of lords, knights and serfs, but with a contemporary sermon. I went with about 3 others and Dr. Beaty to St. Salvatore's cathedral, a gorgeous cathedral built around 1450. The Cathedral is run by the School of Divinity so it is largely non-denominational, though considerably different than any church we have back at home. Service opened at 11 am with some familiar hymns and scripture readings, which would have been rather typical, were it not for the setting. Most of the students in attendance wore Scarlet Robes, signifying their attendance at St. Andrews University. Two sides of the Cathedral were covered by immense and intricate stained glass windows, each depicting a different Biblical story. The other sides of the Cathedral are covered in carvings and typical medieval architecture. There is an aisle that runs through the center of the cathedral, splitting the pews which sit, not facing forward, but rather facing each other. There is a sort of large balcony toward the back of the cathedral, where the choir sits (although one can barely see them except from the very front of the cathedral. The choir is that of St. Andrews University and was absolutely incredible. During the anthem and closing hymns, the choir sang classical songs in Latin and I cannot give credit to the experience in words. The music echoed through the cathedral and angelic is the best descriptor I can give it, as the Sun shone through the stained glass, filling the cathedral with all colors of the rainbow. The sermon was good but not especially notable, calling all Christians to step out into the "deep water" and attempting to address some contemporary problems that the church faces, such as declining youth attendance (especially in Europe). The University brings in different Speakers each week, this year the Bishop Philip Tartaglia of Paisley gave the sermon. Notably, after the service, the Bishop asked all in attendance to go and have a drink with him in a nearby room; I found this an interesting contrast from First Baptist of Amarillo. I think that I will be attending church quite often here at St. Andrews, it was a very enjoyable and memorable experience.

We were able to watch most of the Super Bowl on Sunday, kick-off was around 11:25 pm here in the UK, and the commentators have no idea what they are talking about. Watching the game with the commentary on was worse than watching it with it off, it is very basic considering few here in the UK know the rules. I watched the game at a pub called the Dunvegan, owned interestingly enough by an Aggie born in Austin. It was full of mostly Americans; about half of the pub sang the National anthem, partly out of pride and partly out of defiance to some in the pub that had been claiming the superiority of European 'football.' The pub closed at one, because of licensing, so I returned to my dorm, expecting to be able to finish the game there, sadly, however, the common room with the TV was closed so I had to follow along online.

I think that I am going to like my classes. Arabic is going to be incredibly difficult, only 1 semester left! The Arabic here is quite different than back home, besides the Scottish accent. The course I am taking here is designed to teach 'fous-ha' Arabic, the literate and more traditional version than the colloquial I have taken at Baylor. I dropped the Social Contract class and decided to take instead an interdisciplinary course called Science and Ethics, which promises to be very interesting. The other courses have gone well so far, although I have had considerable difficulty finding my classes, as they are integrated into the town and most of the university buildings are rather indistinct from the rest of the buildings.

This is Crail, the fishing Village we hiked to on Saturday.


The Isle of May in the background, on our hike. (barely visible, there is a lighthouse on the horizon) Dr. Beaty in the foreground, trying to explain rugby.

The tall building is part of the ruined St. Andrews Cathedral, taken from the old graveyard.

Rule's Tower, near the Cathedral

The Philosophy School, where some of my classes are located. (Directly behind it is a cliff, then the North Sea)

The ruins of St. Andrews Castle.

St. Salvatore's Cathedral, where I attended Church

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Wow, it's gorgeous over there! I might have to come visit you :)