Sunday 11 February 2007

First week of Classes, Edinburgh

So it seems that the lousy weather of the past couple of days has finally gotten to me, I think that I have contracted a cold or something. But I don't really have anything to do today (Sunday) so I can afford to rest up and not go out. If I still feel bad in a couple of days I'll go to the doctor but right now I'm just taking some cold medication and getting plenty of rest.

The rest of the week went very well, I finished up my first week of classes without a hitch and am ready for the next. I have dropped Arabic, deciding that it is too much daily work than I want to deal with while I am here, I would rather spend my time out in Scotland than stuck in the library. To replace Arabic, I have enrolled in a class called Aesthetics, which not only promises to be easy but one that I get substantial credit for back in the States. So far I have managed not to have classes on Fridays and I plan to keep it that way, barring me getting assigned to a Friday tutorial (each class requires a certain number of meetings called tutorials). My philosophy course have so far been awesome, from the classroom I can look out the window onto the North Sea. I saw my first wild seal the other day, there is a large number of them in an estuary just North of town.

Saturday a large group of us went to Edinburgh, which was a lot of fun except for the nasty weather. The whole day the temperature hovered right at freezing and there was consistent sleet. Despite the weather, we toured Edinburgh castle. This is the first castle I have seen that is not in ruins and it was very impressive. I was surprised at the thickness and heighth of the walls. The castle is perched on an extinct volcano and gives incredible 360 degree views of the medieval city of Edinburgh. We saw the crown jewels of Scotland, as well as many other of its national treasures on display. After the castle (we got run off of it quickly thanks to the freezing mountaintop winds) we walked to St. Gyle's Cathedral. The cathedral is immense although not quite as awe-inspiring as Notre Dame. After the cathedral, we went to a restaurarant where we watched the rugby game against Wales (scotland won) which we were planning on attending but the weather discouraged it. I still may go to the game two weekends from now against the Irish. A short train-ride and taxi later, we made it back to St Andrews.

I'll get some pictures posted soon, I got a different battery for my digital camera and it is working much better. Hope everything is going well in the States!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.